Oudtshoorn is being destroyed systematically. And there not very many actors that can be trusted…
News with intent!
Your advertising is only as good as the people who see it – repeatedly! You want to do business with OO readers – people with money and control of corporate budgets. Click here
Oudtshoorn. 1 August 2012. 18h00. Here are a couple of uncomfortable facts.
1. The High Court ruled on June 1 that Thandekile Mnyimba is unfit to be Oudtshoorn’s Municipal Manager and that his contract is ab initio null and void.
2. Council decided on July 26 not to appeal the High Court verdict.
3. Council decided on July 26 to appoint Allen Paulse Municipal Manager with immediate effect.
4. Gordon April refuses to give effect to the Council decision.
5. Mnyimba refuses to vacate his office. A source close to Mnyimba informs OO that the man has no plans to leave Oudtshoorn.
6. Allen Paulse accepted Bitou’s offer to act as Municipal Manager for 90 days, starting this coming Monday.
7. The Speaker, Johannes Stoffels, has to present reasons this evening in Cape Town why his party, the NPP, should not suspend him on charges of insubordination and bringing the party into disrepute.
8. Two ANC Ward Councillors, Nondumiso Gunguluza and Erik Ngalo, effectively broke ranks with their Caucus and abstaained on the critical Mnyimba vote on July 26.
9. The NPP has taken disciplinary steps against its member, Stoffels, for ignoring a Party instruction to abstain in the Mnyimba vote.
10. Mpho Mogale, the butcher of Nokeng, against whom OO has repeatedly warned, currently the Cogta custodian of “problem municipalities” in the Western Cape, was seen leaving the Municipal buildings with Mnyimba palsy-walsy earlier today .
Here are a couple of uncomfortable pratings among unnamed sources familiar with events:
1. The NPP is considering dropping charges against Stoffels and to redeploy him elsewhere, moving him away from Oudtshoorn. But not before he buys his reprieval by one last modus vivendi: he has to support a Motion of No Confidence in April and become Mayor – I kid you not – until he can be withdrawn…
This the NPP President, Badih Chaaban, is considering as a offering to his pal, Marius Fransman, who cannot bear the embarrassement of Gordon April any longer, but is unable to remove April without loosing face.
How the NPP is going to justify “promoting” Stoffels when he is under threat of expulsion will be a joy to behold. Especially as the NPP was quick to expunge their previous local representative, Ben Pannas, for exactly the same reason the party is now acting against Stoffels.
2. The Western Cape Minister of Local Government, Anton Bredell, accepts that he is obliged to act when a Mayor does not give effect to a Council decision, and when a Council does not honour a High Court verdict. But Bredell is a past master at conjuring disobliging reasons not to act and at this time of crisis he his quite scintillating: The Minister believes that the current impasse is a mere function of an ephemeral political amour which should correct itself presently and leave his fizzog drenched in yolk, should he have acted.
And the comely Bredell cannot be expected to risk his standing for Oudtshoorn, now can he? I mean, in all reasonableness…
3. The Mayco will tomorrow bring an urgent ex parte application to interdict the Council decision not to appeal the Paulse verdict. There is no probable expectation of success, but it will give the cadres something to apeal to gain time.
4. A number of ranking local ANC members have advised their Provincial and National Leadership that the ANC should go into opposition in Oudtshoorn. The ANC should not govern Oudtshoorn, is the call of these members.
Guess what? The DA doesn’t want to govern Oudtshoorn either!
No political party wants to run Oudtshoorn because it will look bad on the election manifesto next time around!
Here’s the thing: Oudtshoorn is going under.
And a variety of political specialists are standing about engaging in beguiling banter.
Nobody, but nobody , is lifting a finger to help Oudtshoorn.
The only people acting are the very people destroying Oudtshoorn.
Frankly, OO can do no more than record the death of the patient.
What is needed is in your face action. An Interdict compelling April to give effect to the Council decision the Mayco now wants to interdict is all that will suffice. All else is folly.